Japanese Studies Graduate Summer School (JSGSS)
The Japanese Studies Graduate Summer School (JSGSS) is a program of intensive research activities designed to bring together PhD, Research Masters and potential Honours students. Held at the ANU, the four-day event draws participants from around Australia and abroad. This Summer School will provide research students with an opportunity to present their work to their peers as well as to academics and other scholars. Furthermore, it will provide an opportunity for students to receive valuable feedback.
Summer School participants will gain access to an international and inter-disciplinary network of academics whose field of specialisation is Japanese Studies. The program also aims to provide students with the opportunity to utilise the rich and diverse Japanese-language resources at the Australian National University and the National Library of Australia.
The hosts for the program will be experienced Japanese Studies researchers and scholars drawn from ANU staff, and several international guest speakers. The ANU has over 30 Japanese specialists across a wide range of disciplines within the humanities and social sciences on its academic staff. The Summer School not only showcases ANU research on Japan, but also gives participants the opportunity to meet and interact with ANU scholars on Japan. It is anticipated that a high-profile international scholar on Japan will be a keynote speaker for the JSGSS.
A limited number of scholarships covering presenters' accommodation, meals and travel costs are available upon application. Priority will go to those candidates who will not have their costs funded by their own university. Please note that scholarships will only be granted to those applicants who will be presenting at the Summer School.
Individuals who wish to participate in the JSGSS should express their interest by completing the online application form.
The details are below:
- There is no registration fee
- Applications close on Friday 25th November 2011, and applicants will be advised of the results of their application in early December
- The names of two referees, including your current supervisor, are required
- Native Japanese speakers are highly encouraged to use English for their online application and presentation at the JSGSS. For non-native Japanese speakers, Japanese may be used for their application and presentation
- Please specify whether your university is able to provide funding for your participation in this Summer School
Shun Ikeda, Convenor. Japanese Studies Graduate Summer School
- T + 61 2 6125 4030
- F + 61 2 6125 0745
- E firstname.lastname@example.org
Japan Centre, Building 110
School of Culture, History and Language
College of Asia and the Pacific
The Australian National University Canberra
ACT 0200 Australia