The ANU Japan Institute and the Australia-Japan Research Centre will be holding the flagship 2018 Japan Update in September.
2018 Japan Update
Peak Japan is the sixth Japan Update since the series was established in 2013.
The Update is the flagship conference of the Australia-Japan Research Centre (AJRC) in Crawford School of Public Policy, and the Japan Institute at The Australian National University. Bringing together experts from Australia, Japan and around the region, the Update provides a comprehensive overview of Japan’s current economic and political landscape, gives an ‘update’ on the country’s recent developments and forecasts its future directions. The 2018 Update will focus on Japan’s economy, politics and international relations, and demography.
A number of distinguished and prominent scholars will share their insights and latest research on Japan, including:
- Sheila Smith, Senior Fellow for Japan Studies at the Council of Foreign Relations
- Hiroyuki Akita, senior staff writer and commentator at Nikkei
- Lully Miura, Lecturer at the Policy Alternatives Research Institute, University of Tokyo
- Debra Hazleton, Senior Advisor to Mizuho Financial Group
- Hiroko Akiyama, University of Tokyo Institute of Gerontology
- Yuri Okina, Chairman of the Japan Research Institute
The Japan Update 2018 is supported by funding from the Australia-Japan Foundation of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade and the Japan Foundation, Sydney.